0-4-0 Saddle Tank 2084 'FC Tingey'
This shot taken by Andrew Rapacz shows FC Tingey and her owner at KSE December 2012
2084 is privately owned and has been at KSE since 1999 following restoration at Carnforth. When it arrived at KSE it was in Peckett Green and in 2011 it was repainted into lined BR black by Phil Anderson from Stockton. the locomotive was named FC Tingey in memory of the ex-Barrow in Furness fireman Fred Tingey who helped restore it but sadly died before the locomotive steamed in preservation. It carries works number 2084 and is classified as '0Y1 Special', It has a boiler pressure of 200 psi and a tractive effort at 85% boiler pressure of 22,700lb
- 1948 built by Peckett and Sond Ltd at their Atlas Locomotive Works, Bristol
- Worked at Courtalds North Wales
- Donated to the Llangollen Railway when diesel traction replaced steam at Courtalds
- Sold to scrap-metal merchants P Dobbins (Chester) Ltd at Mold Junction
- Purchased 23rd July 1986 by present owner
- Transferred to 'Steamtown Carnforth' ( now West Coast Railways Ltd) for restoration to full working order
- Restoration modification included installation of a 'Kylepo' exhaust to improve steaming characteristics and a chime whistle to replace the manufacturer's original style.
- 20th December 1999 moved under its own power
- 21st December 1999 transported to KSE
- September 2002 appeared at Corus 125 celebrations at the Workington plant which has sadly now closed
- 19th May 2003 - moved to Caledonian Railway in Brechin to boost their motive power
- 8th December 2006 - return to KSE
0-6-0 Austerity 68009
This shot shows 68009 in BR black livery taken at Barrow Hill Roundhouse in 2006
This locomotive is currently awaiting overhaul at Kirkby Stephen East and work will start on it once our engine shed has been completed. Like FC Tingey this locomotive is privately owned and its history is outlined below.
- Built by Hunslett Engineering Co Leeds for the National Coal Board (NCB) SE division Kent local field numbered 9.
- 1954 transferred to Betteshanger Colliery Near Deal
- Dec 1972 transferred to Snowdon Colliery SE of Aylesham
- 10th November 1981 - moved to Great Central Railway in Loughborough where it was overhauled and it was first noted that the boiler and firebox were number NE 68009
- 1990 - 93 operated on a number of railways including: Birmingham Railway Museum, South Devon Railway and the East Lancs Railway
- 29th November 1993 - transferred to North Norfolk Railway
- December 2004 - purchased by SRC Directors
- 2005 - ran on the following railways: Battlefield Line, Shackerston; Vale of Glamorgan Line, Barry Island; Barrow Hill Railway
- 2006 - ran on the following line: Chasewater and Embsay
- 2007 - taken out of traffic due to problems with the boiler and firebox